Interscholastic tennis started in 1930 and continued through 1945 under the supervision of the Oahu Tennis League.
Punahou won several titles through the 1930s, but the Punahou program was dropped in 1942 due to World War II.
The donation of the three Alexander Courts (by Mrs. S.T. Alexander) in 1911 gave considerable impetus to tennis as an instructional and Punahou Girls Athletic Association intramural activity for several decades. Girls team competition began in 1935, with interscholastic play sponsored by the Oahu Tennis League. The competition lasted only a few years.
After World War II, girls tennis became a popular activity again, which prompted the ILH to start girls tennis in 1953. HHSAA state championship play began in 1958.
ILH boys tennis started in 1946 and the HHSAA championships began in 1958. Punahou’s outstanding success can be largely attributed to the availability of the Dillingham Courts on campus and a strong instructional program through the elementary grades.