Punahou girls softball actually traces its roots back to the boys baseball program. In September 1875, a friendly game of baseball between the “Punahou Nines” and the “Royal School Nines” consisted of nine female players on each team. The final score was Punahou-34 and the Royal School-16. The Punahou girls team continued to participate in baseball games throughout the early 1900s until softball was introduced in the early ’50s.
In 1973, girls softball was added to the ILH. The team was coached by Marci Stubbart ’66 Woodruff and assisted by future Punahou president, James Kapae‘alii Scott ’70. The HHSAA girls softball championship was initiated in 1977.