Bishop Hall and Bishop Learning Center
Bishop Hall provides educational space for grades 5 – 12, with classrooms, music and art studios, conference areas, homemaking instructional facilities and the Bishop Learning Center. It is also home to the Summer School Office.
Bishop Learning Center is Bishop Hall's library-learning commons/research center, supporting students and faculty in K – grade 8. In addition to a large collection of books and audiobooks available in print and digital formats, library classes support children's literature and inquiry skills.
The first Bishop Hall at Punahou was the Bishop Hall of Science, built in 1884. In 1933, it was converted for use in manual arts training and was demolished in 1959.
The second Bishop Hall was completed in 1907, and accommodated the Preparatory School when it was relocated from Richards Street. With the building's foundation deteriorating from a subterranian stream flowing from the Lily Pond, plans to construct the third iteration began in 1969 with architect Ernest Hara.
Bishop Hall and Learning Center was the most expensive project Punahou had undertaken up to that point, and involved the School's first capital fund drive. Dedicated in April of 1972, the new facility was technologically advanced and versatile. In 1992, the building received a much needed exterior remodeling, creating the attractive facade it exhibits today.
Charles Reed Bishop
Charles Reed Bishop arrived in Honolulu in 1846, en route to Oregon, and stayed, beginning as a clerk in the government finance department for $1 a day. In 1850, he married Princess Bernice Pauahi Paki and was active as an advisor and member of the privy council to four kings and Queen Liliuokalani.
His gifts to Punahou both in service as a Trustee for 25 years (1867 – 1892) and in monetary support, made him one of Punahou's greatest benefactors.
From his earliest gift of $5,000 for Punahou's 40th anniversary fund and his "challenge gift" of $15,000 which funded the Bishop Hall of Science, Mr. Bishop's generosity was timely and significant. His gifts formed the basis of Punahou's endowment and provided for expansion of the physical plant.
His belief in the ideals of Punahou and the future of Hawaii fueled his commitment and generosity.