The new Kosasa labs are part of a network of labs across the school run by The Design Technology and Engineering Department.
The department delivers curriculum across four main threads:
As part of the overall program the department runs labs which operate in five main modes:
- Computer science- coding, 2D design software, AI, 3D design software (CAD, VR, CAM) etc
- Fabrication- woodwork, metal work, and power tools, cooking, digital machines like lasers, CNC routers, 3D printing, electronics etc
- Social emotional work- centered on knowing yourself, participating on team and developing empathy for the needs of other people or communities.
- Design Theory- Design Thinking and "Ku Hala" Hawaiian design systems.
- Direct instruction in courses and elective courses
- Clubs - robotics, fabrication, sewing, VR, wood work, cooking, entrepreneurship etc
- Integration with classroom teachers
- Supporting independent projects
- Training for teacher and students