Luke Center for Public Service
The Luke Center embraces community service, service learning and social entrepreneurship for grades K – 12, contributing to the school's public service and sustainability initiatives. While community service involves traditional volunteering and philanthropy, service learning describes thoughtfully organized service that is linked to the curriculum. Social entrepreneurship teaches students to become innovative problem solvers and agents of social change.
Service OpportunitiesLuke Center provides a calendar of listings as well as ongoing opportunities, beyond Punahou's programs, to serve the greater community.
Luke Center for Public Service is committed to communicating about service, creating meaningful service opportunities, and convening service-related conversations for students and teachers. The Luke Center develops programs with the following objectives in mind:
- To support and enhance student development in social responsibility;
- To promote the connections between service, spirituality and character education;
- To develop interdependence and a sense of community;
- To create meaningful links between service, sustainability and social entrepreneurship and the curriculum; and
- To meet community needs and take an active role in Punahou's vision of a private school serving a public purpose.