The Education for Democracy Initiative seeks to promote a vibrant culture of civic engagement throughout the Punahou community.
Through a combination of intellectual study and applied, practical experience in professional and public life, it allows our community to explore issues vital to the success of American democracy and prepare Punahou School graduates to make essential contributions to their communities.
Core themes for inquiry and engagement by students, faculty, staff, parents, and alumni include:
• American politics, democratic political participation, and voting rights;
• Civil discourse, rational debate, mediation, tolerance, and critical thinking;
• Media, political communication, and analysis of bias;
• Legal systems, race, poverty, diversity, and access to justice;
• Democratic governance and public policy;
• Community engagement, non-profit organizations, and social responsibility.
For more information, please contact Dani Goddard at firstname.lastname@example.org