Punahou School, an independent college preparatory day school, was founded in 1841 by Protestant missionaries on lands given to them by Hawaiian chiefs. The beneficiary of these two traditions, Punahou is now the largest independent school on a single campus in the United States, serving more than 3,740 students in K – grade 12. The 2017 senior class numbered 424.
Punahou School is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and is a member of the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) and complies with the NACAC “Statement of Principles of Good Practice.”
The school year consists of two semesters of approximately equal length. Scheduling uses a modular system, and classes vary in length according to their needs.
- Grade Point Average
- Honors and Advanced Placement Courses
- Course Explanations
- Graduation Requirements
- College Counseling Staff
- Presidential Scholars
The GPA is computed annually and cumulatively. Only courses taken at Punahou that receive a letter grade are used to determine the GPA. Citizenship and Physical Education grades are included in the GPA. Advanced Placement and Honors courses are not given additional point values. Rarely does a student graduate with a 4.0 GPA. Punahou School does not rank its students. GPA is based on the traditional 4-point scale (A = 4.000, A– = 3.667, B+ = 3.333, B = 3.000, B– = 2.667, C+ = 2.333, C = 2.000, C– = 1.667, D+ = 1.333, D = 1.000, D– = 0.667).
Punahou students are advised not to take more than two Advanced Placement courses simultaneously. Students enrolled in AP courses must take AP exams.
- Senior English Honors (one semester only)
- Junior English Honors (one semester only)
- Japanese: II Honors, III Honors, IV Honors, V Honors
- French: II Honors, III Honors, IV Honors, AP French V
- Spanish: II Honors, III Honors, IV Honors, AP Spanish V
- Mandarin Chinese: II Honors, III Honors, IV Honors, V Honors
- Geometry Honors
- Algebra II/Trigonometry Honors
- Advanced Pre-Calculus Honors
- AP Calculus AB
- AP Calculus BC
- AP Computer Science Principles
- AP Statistics
- Chemistry Honors
- Physics Honors
- Biology Honors
- AP Biology
- AP Chemistry
- AP Environmental Science
- AP Physics 1: Algebra-based
- AP Physics 2: Algebra-based
- AP Physics C (Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism)
- AP U.S. History
- AP European History
- AP U.S. Government and Politics
- AP Psychology
Selective Enrollment by Audition
- Symphony Orchestra
- Wind Ensemble
- Wind Symphony
Recognizing the value of interdisciplinary courses (ID) which integrate materials and techniques from various disciplines, Punahou offers students the opporunity to select these courses beginning in eleventh grade. Some students select these classes over the honors and AP counterparts because they appreciate the chance to make connections across disciplines or to integrate the various facets of a subject.
Among the courses we offer are these:
- American Studies. (11) United States History and American Literature
- Arts & Letters. (11, 12) An interdisciplinary course combining the study of visual art and creative writing. One credit course which satisfies both English and Performing Arts graduation requirements.
- Creativity & Composition. (11, 12) An interdisciplinary course combining the study of English and music. One credit course which satisfies both English and Performing Arts graduation requirements.
Other courses that may require further explanation are:
- Senior Capstone (Social Studies): This innovative semester course includes interdisciplinary themes of social responsibility, economics and the environment in an integrated learning experience. The goal of the course is to develop global citizens with passion, heart and intellect, who develop capabilities to design, research and present sustainable solutions that create social change. Community service at a school-approved human services agency is a requisite part of this course for experiential learning and personal growth. Required for seniors.
- G-Term: A short learning experience is offered to Academy students by Punahou School faculty and staff between the first and second semesters. This experience provides immersive learning opportunities not feasible within a normal class or not available to all students through normal classes (for the latter, examples include short courses on topics such as glass blowing, acting, etc.) Students can select from 60+ offerings; student growth is assessed but no grades are given and no graduation credit is assigned.
- Global Online Academy: Punahou School is a founding member of the Global Online Academy (GOA). Established in 2011, GOA offers diverse and rigorous credit-bearing courses to students in member schools from around the world.
There are five college counselors and eight class deans, four of whom also serve as college counselors (listed below). Pairs of deans stay with a class until graduation, so the senior deans change annually.
Myron S. Arakawa
Director of College Counseling
Associate Director of College Counseling
Christopher J. Obenchain
Associate Director of College Counseling
Lynne N. Tsuda
Director of Academic & Auxiliary Services
Senior Class Dean
Junior Class Dean
Marguerite K. Ashford
Sophomore Class Dean
Lisa E. Stewart
Freshman Class Dean
- 2017 - Carter Nakamoto
- 2016 - Michael Chen and Eileen Liu
- 2011 - Kimberly Schaefer
- 2008 - Christopher Burniske
- 2006 - Scott Seki
- 2005 - Julia Ogilvie (Scholar in the Arts)
- 2004 - Will Jacobson and Avery Cavanah, Chris Schmicker (Scholar in the Arts)
- 2002 - Kara S. Tabor-Furmark
- 2001 - Magali A. M. Fassiotto
- 1998 - Elizabeth K. Nguyen
- 1996 - Jeffery Chung
- 1995 - Matthew Passion
- 1993 - Stacy Uyekubo
- 1992 - Miki Anzai and Brian Koh
- 1991 - Scott Keller
- 1986 - Kristine Tanno
- 1985 - Allegra Goodman
- 1984 - Janyce Mitchell and David Blume
- 1982 - Chau Tseng
- 1979 - Jonathan Selinger
- 1978 - John Lie and Margaret Garties
- 1975 - Eric Howell
- 1971 - Mike Sayama
- 1970 - Allan Chinen
- 1966 - Randall Ming Au
- 1964 - Wilbur Chun
For a complete list of colleges attended by two or more Punahou School graduates over the last four years, download the Academic Profile.