Winne UnitsGrades 2 – 5
The Mary Persis Winne Units include 26 classrooms, each with its own lanai, as well as offices, an outdoor assembly area, Hawaiian garden and Ing Learning Center library facilities. Winne is currently home to grades 2 – 5.
Built in 1955 and located at the Diamond Head (east) end of the campus, the units are named for beloved teacher and principal Mary Persis Winne who, from 1918 to 1941, dedicated her life and enthusiasm to generations of Punahou students.
The continued growth of Punahou's student body, which increased from 1,400 in 1941 to 2,400 in 1955, and the reorganization of the school, forming a Junior School (K – 8) in 1951, created the basis for a six-year, elementary rebuilding program. The Winne Units, designed by Vladimir Ossipoff and completed in three phases by 1955, was considered a model of contemporary educational planning in the nation.
Mary Persis Winne
Born in 1876 in Carson City, Nevada, Mary Winne was the granddaughter of Rev. Asa Thurston. In 1897, she traveled to Hawaii, her mother's birthplace, and taught on Kauai for one year before joining Punahou.
For 42 years, she dedicated all her skills to Punahou children. She taught second grade and subsequently served as principal of the newly formed Elementary School from 1918 until her retirement in 1941. She was the first Punahou faculty member to complete 25 years of service.
As significant as her loyalty was her pioneering work in developing new methods of teaching. She is particularly known for her contributions to the understanding and treatment of dyslexia.